Tuesday 1 November 2011

Set Textures

After Gareth's suggestion that I should do site visits for the scene's I need to create I felt in the same way I should photograph textures that I intend to recreate also. Along my journey into university I took photos of textures that I wanted to incorporate into my set that I could then give a cubist twist to...

Autumn leaves - I want to include different textures from different seasons  to suggest time passing  as the Soldier Journey's on

Stone wall that could be defining a field on his travels or a stone wall of his home town.

More Autumn leaves with different textures

Mossy brick wall - contrast in texture and again could be on a building in his native village

Contrasting, speckled leaves again suggest Autumn and will  add some warm colours into the set

Knarled bark - could experiment using foamboard but into or painting the texture onto wood itself,

Loved the tree silhouette - could apply this by drawing it onto another contrasting texture such as the corrugated iron - relate it to the stripped trees seen in WWI

Interesting colour and texture on this old wooden fence - relates to his village but could also help influence how I break down the wood for the floorboards/pallets


My first experimentation with the cubist theme and the textures I found.  I painted masking fluid first in an angular manner to break up and distort the image once I have finished as done in cubism. Top left and right I have included textures and colours of autumn leaves, the white and blueto reflect winter and frosted grass with the deep green background.



The final result - the masking fluid has fragmented the leaves just as I wanted - the Autumn  leaves being far more successful than the winter designs. I love the bold pale yellow against the deep green and the deep red also that we automatically associate with Autumn. I shall definitely use this technique in my set design.
Another experimentation using the same media but for the corn fields to suggest summer. I have also added some pencil work to suggest further texture but I think I shall omit this in the final design and chose a different background colour.

No comments:

Post a Comment