Wednesday 2 November 2011

Set colour scheme

As I was meeting Richard the set builder today to discuss set construction and possibly whether he could build it I wanted to have a collaged pros arch to demonstrate the colours and textures that will be used. I can also send this plan to Doug so he can approve the colour scheme. I also painted the floor to help show the formation of the painted pallets connecting to the real pallets. Talking to Richard was insightful as he described how the set should be broken and suggested solutions for the floor such as painted mdf, rather than lino which I had previously thought of, which will look much better and be far easier to paint. He also suggested that much of the In Extremis set could be reused to either make the pallets or other parts of the set which will save money and time spent breaking down as they are already well worn. He also suggested using real corrugated iron as plastic won't look at good so I shall begin to search for this on the web.

On showing the prototype pros to Doug he was also very happy with its outcome.
Flat pros demonstrating colours and textures to be used

Pros arch with painted floor design

Whole stage set up with pallets


Reflection: I am extremely happy with the colours and aesthetic of the pros and think it will look much better in relief, when there are 3D elements as well, as currently it looks very flat. I feel like it encompasses many elements of the story and the soldiers journey but are still fairly subtle so can be read how the audience wants to interpret them. Elements such as the distorted sign post will be recognisable and is crucial in showing his confusion, travels and misdirection throughout the story. Speaking to Richard was extremely helpful in helping me establish the set build more clearly and details such as brace size, necessary masking and where to break the pros to ensure it travels easily and will be supported correctly when put together. Richard has aided my technical understanding and I have also learnt that a model box needs to be very clear as elements such as my painted floor made the paper curl giving the impression of a curved floor which was misinterpreted and could cause serious problems. I shall be very aware of this next time as even a card model needs to be thorough and clear for interpretation.

No comments:

Post a Comment