Monday 14 November 2011

First day of Rehearsals

Today was great, not only to be able to present my finalised Set Model to the cast, but to finally feel like the whole project is in motion having begun designing almost 7 months ago now. My designs were well received and I feel like I managed to explain each design and show the operation of the set to it's fullest. I just kept reminding myself of Pamela Howard's advice to 'let you work be your ambassador' every time I felt at all nervous.

The read through was really interesting, finally putting a voice to characters and discovering the actors own perceptions of their character. They are now evolving from the page to life which is fascinating to watch as their characteristics develop, especially when accompanied and completed by the costumes. As the actors had no quibbles with the costume designs I feel I must have represented the characters well as well as them also fitting the actors view of each character. I am now excited to see how they are going to play with cubism in their body movements as the story develops transforming their realistic performance/costumes to relate to the juxtaposed Cubist set.

During the meeting and discussion about props I said that I would like to approve everything before it is bought from the outset so the stage management team have said they will email and picture message me their finds so I can do so. I am very pleased to have established this so early on as the play has such a specific aesthetic both historically and in the Cubist sense that certain props could easily look horribly out of place. I will continue to keep on top of this and help the management team throughout preparations for the show.

No comments:

Post a Comment