Wednesday 12 October 2011

SP First Week and fabric sampling

A week that couldn't have been any crazier! Great to meet my costume makers and extremely excited to get things underway although I have found rereading through my sketchbook very helpful as it is rather a long time since I finalised my costume designs! The girls are all extremely talented and already are very enthusiastic, I am very lucky to have such a knowledgable team. Having had our first meeting where I described the designs ans the textures/silhouettes I want Grace (my costume supervisor) and I decided to jump in and search for fabric samples in London on Thursday as the suit fabric particularly needs to be found asap. Having scrutinised the collections of both Berwick Street and Shepherds Bush  we found some fantastic polyester chiffons that were as perfect as the silks we initially found and a third of the price. Overall it was very successful as we gathered a variety of textured fabrics for Emily to start experimenting with for the Devil costume as well as added bits such as iridescent feathers, leather and fur trimmings that will add to its magnificence. The dress fabric search was also fruitful with the correct colours found in the right textures at reasonable prices. The suiting was less so with the absence of Textile King we struggled so plan to ask Anushka's opinion of their appropriate weight etc. on our samples to aid the decision. (Sadly our final choice was gone when Amy went to purchase it so we have continued to look in the archive, online and with local suppliers.) As for the Soldier we found some apropriate shirt fabrics but will see if we can find the equivalent at a lower price.
Reflection: I can see that as a designer I will need to learn to make some compromises, especially where fabric is concerned, but also be resourceful to ensure any I do make won't effect the overall character of design. I am happy with our first sampling visit, how we managed our time, did thorough research and kept our focus on the task in hand. Having these samples to hand with company names and prices will make it much easier to order efficiently and be aware of the fabrics available when we come to order.

No comments:

Post a Comment