Wednesday 12 October 2011

Set Tutorials

Have been struggling to get back into my set work on returning to the course, I think due to the costume that has issues that need immediately resolving and also panicking about the time available I have to complete my set. However, today the tutorials I have had with Will and Rebecca today made it all much clearer. I have resolved the confusion about whether the orchestra are to be upon a rostrum or not and also have been given time so I can think through why exactly I have made the design choices that I have. Will questioning the aspects of my set design such as the uses of space, reason for pros arch etc have really got my brain ticking about what I want the set to portray. Along with the tutorial with Gareth Corke who provoked my thinking and ideas - commenting on how there were both naturalistic and suggestive elements to my set and which I wished to be most prominent. Furthermore he spoke about the Naivity that runs through the piece in the set design, and humanity represented by the soldier's character and how I can link this is into the entire design. He liked my box idea to show the moving seasons and time passing but suggested I could take it further by making a bolder statement with them and  to demonstrate the river bed of the stream rather than my bullrushes  as well as use them as containers within  the set. Which I think are both great ideas. He also suggested visiting my settings to get a better idea of the feel I need to recreate.

Existing set design that needs some serious rethinking. Set to the first scene - 'banks of a stream' this representation is quite naturalistic and straight forward where as I want to create something more suggestive and surreal. 


Reflection:
These tutorials have given me the spark I needed to rethink my set design and make it much more intelligent. I plan to visit the stream in bournemouth town center and make observations and take photographs of it to pin point how to demonstrate a stream in a naive format. I will use this research to play with the box idea and see what can be created from them.

No comments:

Post a Comment