Thursday 13 October 2011

Cubism

The set has taken a drastic turn after a suggestion yesterday that it revolved around Cubism.... I actually feel relieved and extremely excited for this proposition as this provides a clear aesthetic for my design to follow plus I love the work of the Cubist movement! I looked into Cubism for my set design at level 4 and loved working with the textures, shapes and colouration they use. The colour schemes tend to be fairly grungy and muddy which tones in quite well with the WWI context as well as including textures such as wood affect, paper and paint effects. The harsh lines and juxtaposed angles are a great representation of the angst of the era as well as the Devil's cunning presence. Furthermore, Picasso being particularly relevant as he was a contemporary of Stravinksy's, both pioneering in their own art form at this time, connecting the music with the set aesthetic.
From this decision I went and researched into artists of the Cubist Movement, looking particularly at work that relates to the different locations throughout the story eg. The native village, but that also involve painting/collage techniques that I like and I feel could be incorporated into my set.







No comments:

Post a Comment