Thursday 20 October 2011

Developing Cubist set

From my research into Cubism I then worked with my research and my existing set model experimenting with creating a fragmented proscenium arch but also seeing if I could incorporate aspects of the different locations throughout the Soldier's journey into the silhouette and decoration of the Pros.






On showing Doug these sketches he favoured the arch that involved on one side a very materialised pros involving materials from the trenches and on the other more foliage and tree silhouettes to represent the countryside aspect of the journey. From our discussion we decided that the Pros space will act as, in affect, the Devil's Lair which then makes sense of the two acting spaces that will be created. Combining the box idea and Cubism also gave the opportunity of creating odd geometric boxes (rather than perfect regular ones) that could be manoeuvred around to create set but also contain costume/items such as hats/jackets as the Soldiers circumstance alters throughout the play. Another idea he had was that we needed a back cloth of some kind to project upon, but rather than a stretched cloth perhaps sculpted heaps of fabric that are dirtied to look like sheets/tarpaulins used in war time. However, although I agree that it would be good to have something to project upon I feel these will look 'un-designed' and not read well. I will have a look into it and think about alternatives that would give a similar effect. He also suggested that a subtle sense of death be introduced throughout the set and make up to relate to the war time context. From this discussion I created this white card model:





However, on showing Rebecca this model she said that I should go much bolder with the Cubist feel as the shapes were still far too naturalistic. I agreed and looking at the model I felt it didn't evoke the drama and harshness that Cubism involves -if I am going to use it as an aesthetic it needs to be bold and brash and doesn't need to explain to the audience. It can have hints of silhouettes of trees/ grass like painting rather than being completely obvious. I also think that making the set very suggestive and almost surreal will contrast nicely with the quite traditional costumes. The setting will be a surreal environment fit for the fairytale it is but the traditional costumes will ground it and give it a sense of realness allowing the viewer to relate to the story and see how it is still apparent today. Rebecca suggested that I look more at the collage style Cubist pieces and also work from a drawing board rather than doing sketches. Tracing the dominant lines from the art work (with a ruler so their definition and angles are not lost) and seeing how I can create a pros from them. We also looked at the materials used in the War such as corrugated iron, wood planks and wooden pallets. I shall use these textures in a collage style to create the arch and give a sense of setting context. I will also make lots of pallets to see how they can be used within the set to create levels/ the backdrop that Doug was after. Hopefully as I plan to make the colour scheme of the Pros lighter than my original model this will also provide a canvas to be lit as well.   

No comments:

Post a Comment