Thursday 1 December 2011

Set Issues

This week with the tecnichal drawing of the set has uncovered some problems firstly discrepancies of measurements between my model box, drawings and what the venue claim. Wherever the mistakes lie it had implications on the dance floor end and clearance, also the angle of the two sets of rostra. However, to resolve this I have reduced the size of one of the angled pieces of Pros so it cuts into the dance space less without having to reconfigure the pallet arrangement or move the whole Pros arrangement around. The rostra will fit in the space but the angles will change slightly as it slightly less than in my model box. However, from the mark out in the studio Theatre the arrangement will still be very similar.

A further problem has been the curtain pole. As a pulley system is required to be operated from stage right alone a single curtain track is needed which is currently not possible with the angles of the Pros. I therefore had to add another piece into the top of the Pros to make this possible. I find it a shame as I love the angle of the Pros as it is a strong Cubist feature and made it very unique as well as the implications it may have on sight lines. However, I am hoping to maintain the look of the angle through painting affects and the pulley system is required.

Reflection:
The realisation of my set is the greatest learning curb for me and instances such as these make me realise how much needs to be critically considered for a design to work. Thankfully this can be worked out but in future I need to keep asking the Director about the curtain ideas throughout the process and incorporate it into the design. This experience has aided my ability to make intellectual decisions with the situation in hand and be confident I can resolve it in a way that is still in keeping with my design aesthetic and achieved the required result. 

No comments:

Post a Comment