Monday 12 December 2011

Critique of Performance

Having watched the performance Friday night, after the dress and tech runs I tried very hard to just sit and enjoy this one which was actually very difficult. It is impossible not to have a critical eye and be concious of all going on backstage. This was made even more difficult as I noticed as soon as it started that a leg had been moved in front of the Orchestra stand which hid one of the musicians which made me feel disappointed the whole way through. Despite this everything else seemed flawless to my eyes, minus a minor curtain problem! On watching this performance I evaluated the costumes appearance as well as the set and it's operation and here are the main points I felt worth mentioning:

COSTUME:

Soldier: Costume looked authentic and designed and so like the design it was amazing, it was manipulatable yet also related the orchestra to the action.

Narrator: The tweed fabric we settled for looked great from the audience distance and combined with bowler and watch chain he looked the part of grandfatherly, smart and authorative. John looked so comfortable in this costume and it made his character all the more convincing.

Princess: Possibly the costume I am most pleased with as it glided with her dancing just as I intended when drawing the original deisigns, looking beyond elegant. It showed the expense, regality and feminity with a hint of lust with her red hair in the right levels and Rachel looked stunning. I am again proud that with the touches of Diamante and cape it looks regal without needing a crown and Beth's embroidery gave in an extra feel of expense, youth and set the era.

Devil: The only complaint I have for this costume is that it wasn't on stage ling enough and the red light detracted some of it beauty. There couldn't have been  a better outfit for the Devil's revelation and the cape and headdress there was endless extravagence, pride and victory. Her body moving under the suit was still creepy and she looked truly as if wrenched from the Earth.

Devil's other costumes:
Matched my early sketches very well and again really set the era, her body movement in each showed great character and I am especially pleased with the final busty look of the washer woman which was very convincing. The scarf continuation was subtle and clever which I really liked.

SET
The subtle and limited colour scheme worked beautifully and tied in expertly with the costumes. The boarding and iron of the orchestra section linked to the Pros and gave a variety of interesting textures to attract the eye and react with the lighting.



Reflection: I am so proud of what has been accomplished from my original design to create a production that looks more beautiful and professional than I couls have imagined. I am very grateful for the team I have worked with who are all very talented and have coped so well under the stresses that come with this unit to make something so great. 

No comments:

Post a Comment