Wednesday 18 May 2011

White Card Model

My White Card Model for hand in:

Front (audience) View


Aerial View





 Above are photgraphs of my White card model (still in progress) for hand in. This is the format I have decided upon for now and I will show Doug at the beginning of Level 6 to get his perspective - understanding better how the actors will use the space and whether it works with the ideas he currently has. The structure for the proscenium arch is simple and will remain so but I shall add some decoration and colour in the final design as well as some more characteristics to its silhouette next term. It fits well within the space
and the arch has a great height which adds to the 'puppet theatre' feel. This idea of fantasy and puppetry will be increased with the decoration of the arch and how the scene changes are approached. A the moment I am swaying towards using flats in a traditional painted style to increase the theatrical, nostalgic feel and relate to puppet theatre further.

I have tried to allow space around the outsides of the arch so actors can walk around the outside also, as the Orchestra space might be slightly over sized this walk way space will hopefully be increased. Placing the arch in this location I am hoping will provide decent space both in front of and behind it for action to take place.
This set up gives a fair amount of attention on both the Orchestra and Action which will mean the production will be well balanced. I wanted to have focus on the orchestra as the music is so essential in portraying the story. Plus as they will be costumed they are part of the story - continually setting the political context of war.

I have left my current idea for the projection sheet in the model box however I understand that the fabric is not to scale and needs shortening. Using the sheet along the back wall will provide ample room for a clear, large projection visible to the entire audience. As I have mentioned in my sketch book I also had the idea that rising/lowering the sheet could be acted as part of a military operation.


Reflection:
It has been quite difficult balancing both costume and set designing in this project due to time constraints as well as discovering the Devil's additional costumes. However, I feel that they do come hand in hand and it was necessary to consider both at the same time and the overall look of the production.I am happy with the current stage of my white card model but am looking forward to adressing the decoration and scene changes next year. This model is basic but has helped me understand what is technically involved with this design eg. pros. arch height and space allowed with Orchestra. I would have liked to have more time to spend developing this model prior to hand in but despite my efforts to contact the orchestra and find out their required space I was only made aware of it on May 15th. If I were to embark on this project again I would therefore like to have been involved in the initial meeting so I could be put into imediate contact with Orchestra so communication would not have been an issue.

No comments:

Post a Comment