Sunday 15 May 2011

Kokoro Rehursal and Performance

Yesterday I went to St.Peters Church in Bournemouth to view both a rehursal and performance by Kokoro and an accompanying choir. The rehursal was great in giving me an estimate of the space they required which I could physically see as well as the Percussionist giving me details on the space required for percussion for AST. As it is only drums mainly used he thought it would be about 2m by 6ft roughly plus seating for the musicians. I also managed to grab some photos of three members of the orchestra who will be in AST, both a full length shot and a face shot not only for my records but also to give to Sarah in charge of make-up so she can begin her ideas for them.

As for the evening performance it was firstly nice to do something different, I have seen live music before but not for a long time and I have never seen anything classical yet so modern. The church setting was beautiful and the space created great acoustics. The piece 'lux' was my personal favourite along with the Choral work also conducted by Mark, which were just heavenly to listen to. I enjoyed the interval with a nice glass of wine and speculated with my housemate as to the variety of people in the audience. Also had a brief chat with Mark who passed on that there was a lot of excitement buzzing about AST already which is great news and very glad I haven't put them off by showing them the WW1 uniforms!

Reflection:
This was a very worthy experience. It was great to say hello to the members of Kokoro who I will be working with in future; who were all extremely lovely about having their photo taken! Not only did I benefit by finding out an estimate of measurements to then create my set but also to see the orchestra in action. How they operate in their performances and arrange themselves. They were all stationary and seated for the performance which I will need to consider in my set - seating, spacing etc. It also reminded me of the power of the music and how integral it is to AST and how this needs to be reflected in my designs. They are a great group of people and watching them perform has got me even more excited for the projects development next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment